Formulations & Development
The Green Team
Plethico takes pride in a team of dedicated scientists with expertise in botany, pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, analytics and pharmacology, as well as consultants having a long association with the herbal drug industry.
Procuring authentic plant material, pharmacological evaluation in laboratory models, formulation development and modern clinical trials are an integral part of the herbal product development activities.
Our Herbal Research unit focuses on developing standardized, clinically proven and safe herbal products for therapeutic and cosmetic use. They are engaged in various activities that enable us to bring out the most efficacious herbal products to consume. Some of the activities are:
- Research on new herbs/ existing herb ingredients for better therapeutic usage, dosage form/ Novel Drug delivery system (NDDS).
- Spearheading improvements in existing formulations to meet growing regulatory demands.
- Stabilizing of existing dosage forms based on stability studies as per International Guidelines.
- Development of marker based standardized dosage forms.
Methods of extraction
Commercially herbal crude materials are extracted by water as the extraction medium, which is achieved at Plethico by following methods:
- Cold maceration,
- Hot percolation,
- Hot extraction,
- Distillation, etc. based on the type of material to be extracted
- Supercritical or Liquid CO2 extraction
Standardization is done to ensure that every batch of a product is consistent with respect to quality and results in beneficial therapeutic effect, i.e., to ensure total Quality, Safety and Efficacy of each and every herbal product. Standardization of herbal products at Plethico includes the following steps:
- Authentication of the plant material
- Determination of Foreign matter
- Organoleptic evaluation
- Macroscopy and Microscopy
- Determination of extractive values
- Group analysis
- Chromatographic profile matching
- Marker compound analysis
- Contaminant analysis
Few of advanced instruments used for the herbal products apart from pilot scale batch size machines are:
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) from Waters
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy for analysis of Heavy metals
- Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC) for analysis of Pesticides
- Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) for detection and chemical analysis of certain phytochemicals such as Alkaloids, Tannins, etc.